Thursday, June 12, 2008

Words don’t explain it…welcome to where I was, where I am, and where I will forever be Part 4

Oh the Rainbow After School Program…what can really be said. This is such an amazing program to help the kids in the community and I absolutely love everything it does. I really had a great time with all of the kids and it really solidified my passion for kids. I could tell story after countless story of my experiences but a few come to mind right away. First…fractions! Who would have thought I would have to be doing those again!? One day I was working with the 4th graders on math and they were working with fractions and obviously the pie analogy came up. I also have a greater appreciation for teachers after this day because wow I don’t think I have repeated myself so much in my life! For the most part I was working with 3 kids. One was a really quick learner, one tried really hard, and one just tried to copy and not learn. This was super frustrating for me because the kids were just okay with it.

One of the funniest experiences on this trip has been playing heads up 7 up once some of the kids were done with their homework. They were all so anxious to learn a new game even though I don’t think they really followed what was going on. So as we started playing it started good….3 people picking and then only 3 people would stand up…perfect. However, soon followed 3 people picking and 5 people standing up, or 7 or 9! At one point I was getting picked every time yet nobody was saying the picked me. Here to find out one of the other kids sitting next to me was picking me after I put my head down! They were absolutely hilarious!

I really loved to hang out with all of the kids in Gugs because there were all so welcoming and loved to see us. I felt like some of the older people had speculation because I’m sure they have seen people come in before and do nothing, yet the kids were always smiles. I’ll try and put up some pictures to show all the love because again…theme of this experience…words don’t do it justice.

1 comment:

mom said...

TJ - You are amazing! I can feel in your heart how you feel about this experience thru your writing. I believe you truly get it and will be one to take what you have learned in SA and run with it. Love you much! Mom