Sunday, June 1, 2008

Grand Rand to Wet Rand..Welcome to the Roller Coaster that is South Africa

Before we left for this trip we were told that we would have a roller coaster of emotions and after a few days we would indeed crash. Well....Thursday was that day for me! I was really excited for Thursday because we were heading out to the Cape of Good Hope...ie the South-Western most point in Africa! To begin the day I was not feeling very well but hey...its South Africa so I told myself to suck it up and go with it! So for the trip I decided to not bring a rain jacket because with my ideology it would simply be a bad omen and it would obviously rain if I brought a jacket...well Thursday I really don't think it mattered if you had 10 jackets you were going to get WET! We started out taking a boat out to see the seals in Hout Bay. The drive to the harbor was beautiful. Once we boarded the boat it was quite breathe taking with the harbor and the mountains surrounding us but off in the distance it looked like it may rain. I think we were all feeling pretty excited for the little tour but literally about 5 minutes after departing it started to rain. Slowly at first, but then harder and harder until it was a complete downpour. When it first started we all decided to stay out and try and weather the storm because we ARE from Minnesota and we can handle a little water! Needless to say, we stayed out a little too long. After a few minutes out in the rain we all decided to concede to the weather and go inside on the boat. If you could have only been inside watching this group of 17 people run to the side of the boat in the pouring rain/huge waves only to find out you needed to go to the other side you may have died laughing. By the time we got inside we soaked! I was pretty bummed thinking that it may rain all day and for the fact that I was wet and cold on a bus. We then headed off to see the penguins at Simon's Town! These were some of the cutest penguins ever! I think Elisa and I just about DIED laughing as we watched one try and walk down a hill and completely face plant in the sand..but really as she jumped up and down laughing so hard my cheeks and stomach HURT from laughing at that penguin.

We then headed out to the Cape of Good Hope Nature Reserve to go to Cape Point. By this time the weather was amazing again. The sun was out with a slight breeze from the ocean and I have no idea how it would have been any better! On our way there we got a little lecture that if we saw baboons to stay away because they are mean and will take food, jump in cars, and pretty much just cause a ruckus! Well, soon there after we ran into a parliament of baboons (a group of them) crossing the road. They were pretty tough looking animals and frankly I wouldn’t want to get into a scuffle with a baboon anytime soon!Once we were parked a majority of the group decided to walk down the path to Cape Point right away and not go to the light houses. On our way there was an absolutely amazing beach…(the picture is on the right.) We all decided to trek down the steps to this beach for a little while. It was absolutely mind blowing and I have never seen anything like it before in my life. We took a bunch of pictures and just hung out in/around the water…so amazing and I think we were all glad that it was amazing out and not raining. In the distance we saw some dark clouds but I never thought they would get to us or at least before we had to leave. HA…I don’t think I could have ever been so wrong. By the time we hiked back up to the top of the stairs off the beach I knew that we were about to get soaked AGAIN today! Literally 10 steps on the path past the beach the water started pouring.

You could see the water pouring on the ocean…the picture isn’t blurry that is just how hard the water was coming down! Also, in South Africa the rain doesn’t come down vertically, it definitely comes down horizontally! Needless to say by the time we reached the actual Cape Point I was COMPLETELY soaked….there was NOTHING on me that was dry. I was really nervous my cell phone wasn’t going to work but everything turned out fine. Once I reached the top of Cape Point it all became worth it! That was hands down one of the most beautiful things I have seen in my life. Knowing the closest land is Antarctica I kept trying to picture myself on a map and how far away I had been only a few days prior, simply amazing. This really all wouldn’t have been the same though without the people I was with. My favorite part about it all was that nobody complained and just sucked it up and went with it…its all an experience is my philosophy. After everybody had started to head down I was left with Jesse, Elisa, and Hilary on the top of Cape Point. It was then I could truly appreciate the beauty of this place and the people I am surrounded by. Everybody is unique and amazing all at the same time. I really could not picture this trip without the other 17 people I am able to share it with. After that day I had a greater appreciation for friendship, resilience, and the ever changing face of South Africa. For me the weather that day really related to the country as a whole. Everything can go from horrible to beautiful in a matter of minutes, and the opposite even quicker.

No comments: