Monday, June 9, 2008

Words don’t explain it…welcome to where I was, where I am, and where I will forever be Part 2

Going into having our host family situation I was pretty excited yet nervous of not knowing how it would go! After Jesse and I found out we had 2 host moms I was quite excited! What’s better than 1 mom…2! On our way over to Bomvu’s house I really tried to keep an open mind. As we past shack after shack I mentally prepared myself for the most different situation, however we then crossed the bridge over the highway…welcome to Montana. As we pulled up to her house I was kicking myself for even thinking it may be bad. Her house was beautiful. We had everything any home would have plus we even had a TV in our room. Although we all had different housing experiences I really think ours was the best. I really wish I had more time to just sit and talk with my host moms but everybody was usually really tired by the end of the day. She had a very unique perspective on education because she had been teaching for 30 years! Although I had 2 host moms I feel like I had a huge extended host family. All three nights of home stays we would all get together, host parents and our entire group for a big dinner and dancing! The food was always amazing but I’ll talk about that in a bit. Everybody was so warm and welcoming all of the time. I felt like I had a giant host family that was more than just my host moms. I was really appreciative of their ability to be open with all of us and to deal with all of our horrible dancing! They also had to deal with our horrible clicking in Xhosa and all of us trying to learn the chicken dance. All in all I really learned a lot from my home stay experience. There are so many more things I would love to say but they aren’t really things I can explain in words. I have never met such warm people in my life and truly do miss them. If I had my choice I would stay in the townships for our entire trip simply for the sense of community and the genuine love I felt.
One Love Always

1 comment:

mom said...

Hey, Just incase I don't talk to you tomorrow I wanted to wish you a very special Happy Birthday!
Happy 21st Birthday Buddy! Love you!! Miss you! Love mom!